Well, as I expected, the old Briggs was shot. So I picked up a new 22 HP, 670cc, V Twin engine from Harbor Freight. Price was 699 but I had a 25% discount coupon. Then I bought the 2 year extended warranty for 175, so final price was back near that mark. It has a 1 inch diameter shaft, same as the 18 HP Opposed Twin Briggs.
So I got the old motor out and did some reference measuring to determine where the new motor needs to mount on the mounting plate, in order to match the clutch alignment.
The 22hp motor had a completely different mounting base dimension and base to shaft dimension. So some spacers were in order and the mounting plate had to be re-drilled.
Total thickness of the spacers for each hole is 1.39″. 1.25 would have been exactly what was needed, I had these two aluminum stock plates that added up to 1.39. I could have milled them down on the CNC mill but I didn’t think it was critical enough to take the time to do that.
So, as the old saying goes, measure twice and cut once. Well I don’t know how I did it but some how when I went to transfer the measurements to the motor mounting plate, I was off by 2″. Not sure how I made that much of an error but I did. Here is a video of what I ended up having to do to the mounting plate.
Below is a video of the engine mounted and running.
Video of first test drive
It sounds like the T20 Transmission is in need of a rebuild. Thanks to Spideytank for the youtube video on this process. I will order some parts and start this next.